12.07.2009

McLuhan

After reading the blog post about McLuhan and reading the first part of Understanding Media, I am still fairly confused. Radio is hot because there is not a lot of participation, high deterioration in one mode... focused sound...

Technologies are anything that allows your person to have more capacity.

I read Mcluhan Reconsidered which offers this quote:
"...those who offer technologically determinist analyses of the history of western cultures--the Havelocks, Ongs, McLuhans, and their followers--remain marginalized.... The determinists see culture as a series of behaviours determined by the powers and limits of each generation's "hardware", that is, the technologies of communication..."[1] 

So, it is not hard to see why McLuhan would have so accurately predicted the evolution of media  -- he used a technologically determinist perspective, and thus he was stating what would ultimately be produced by the evolution of technology over time - he wrote about the ways that culture and history have been and will be affected by technological advances.

Definitely makes sense that he was in a Woody Allen movie. I think I will write more after today's discussion when I have a better idea of what to take away from his ramblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment