12.03.2009

EPIC 2014

Watching Epic 2014 .

(I feel like I'm in watching one of those creepy museum videos. And then Google conquered the Macedonian Empire....)

I don't see The New York Times going offline, especially because if they ever did, people would just begin to type up the articles or scan them onto computers. That is why I imagine newspapers went online in the first place -- to control access to their own content online. By requiring a username and password to access its site, The New York Times is able to keep its full articles from coming up in Google searches.

I think that this video is an overreaction. If print media fails, it will be because the newspapers realized the amount of money they could save by becoming exclusively online organizations.

Also, newspapers are just as capable of printing false facts or stories skewed by special-interests as any citizen journalist. The same people who police the facts of the media now will be policing the facts of citizen journalists. We do not implicitly trust what we read but have been taught to question its veracity and motives. A more trusted journalist gets more hits and  more hits means more advertising revenue. The same systems in place today to police the media will continue to police online media.

No comments:

Post a Comment