What I think is most interesting about social media is all of the new rules of social etiquette that have come with it.
Writing a letter is no longer a casual thing to do. It has been redefined.
Facebook friending means something between real world individuals. It has definitely evolved in its meaning as Facebook has evolved. I think this is a large reason why people are nervous about it. They don't understand the ramifications of their actions or how to control it.
For example, in my last post, I shared an article about viral crooks and how they can take over your online identity creating a social faux pas. However, if I had received that email/message, I would have known immediately that it was spam. Also, I know how to avoid getting spammed because I have learned how to control my profile. If you are going to interact with social media, it is imperative that you know this. Otherwise it is just as scary as people say.
For example, I would never allow my photos or cellphone number to be open on Facebook. I have it open to my friends. I am incredibly careful about my privacy settings and have created groups to limit what those who I know really well can know about me versus those I do not know well vs employers and my grandparents etc.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment