10.06.2009

Annie Le Murder vs. '98 Murder of Suzanne Jovin

What I found most interesting about the coverage of the Annie Le murder was the spotlight it put on the violence in New Haven. When I first heard about what happened, I immediately began to scour the web for more information. (It sounded like something straight out of Law and Order SVU.)

From clicking random links on the right hand side of many pages, I came across the murder of Suzanne Jovin in 1998. The Yale Daily News did an interesting piece in which they compared the two murders, the public's reaction to the murders, and how they were covered by the media.

I think that a lot of the fascination with this case, especially on the Trinity campus, is that this horrible thing happened to such an average person. I mentioned the case to a friend, who informed me that there is a web site that shows crime rates on different campuses. She said that Yale University pays this site -- which I should mention in full disclosure she did not remember the name of -- to falsify the crime rates of New Haven... hm, sounds like a conspiracy theory, but still, it raises some pretty big issues about the responsibility of such sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment