9.30.2009

Poke Me


I am sure that Facebook generates a lot more money now than it did when I first became a user, but am I the only one who longs for the simpler days?

Now, I have to check my Facebook account every five seconds to make sure that no one has posted an embarrassing photograph of me or written something inappropriate on my wall. Also, sometimes I just feel, well, overexposed. So what do I do? Delete my account? But then all of my friends who are avid users will not be able to get in touch with me, and what are the chances that they know my email address?

When I first logged into Facebook, it was as a prospective Trinity student. At the time, Facebook was open only to college students, so I used a friend's log in information to look at pictures of students at Trinity. A year later, I opened my own account. Facebook consisted of information such as interests, favorite movies, TV shows, quotes, etc. The only photo that was displayed was the profile photo, and people could post on your wall, but it looked more like a blog post and they had to sign their names afterward. Something like 5 posts could show up at any given time, so I had to delete less important ones to leave up my favorites.

Facebook has now become a source of controversy, drawing a lot of attention from the debate over privacy on the Internet. How many times have we been told that our future employers will have access to our accounts. How does anyone in the future intend to run for a position in government with the photos that will be of them all over the Internet??

I miss the days when there was a little Facebook guy in the upper left hand corner, and the most exciting thing to happen on my account was that I got poked.

PS Can someone please bring back the poke?

No comments:

Post a Comment